What is Company Culture
Company culture is usually defined as the personality of the company. It means the environment in which employees work. Company culture includes a variety of things, including the office environment, company mission, value, ethics, expectations, and goals. There are also informal company culture indicators such as the way people talk to each other, the work ethic (are people expected to stay as long as or longer than their boss) and fun at work.
Some companies have a team-based culture with employee participation on all levels, while other have a more traditional and formal management style. Some companies encourage a highly competitive work environment. A great company culture will help grow teams of focused staff striving for excellence.
Why Improve Company Culture
Company culture goes hand in hand with employee engagement and motivation. Employees want to work for a company that has a similar style to their personality. As a result they will develop better relationships with coworkers. They will also be more productive.
On the other hand, if an employee works for a company where they don’t fit in with the company culture, they are less likely to enjoy their work. So if an employee doesn’t fit they become disengaged. This has a a huge effect on a company’s ability to perform well. According to recent research by Gallop, 70% of employees are either ambivalent about or completely disengaged with their jobs. In the USA this translates into $450-$500 billion in lost productivity and in Australia it is $70 billion. There are 10 ways to improve company culture.
Attributes Of An Improved Company Culture
Organizations with a great company culture and engaged and motivated employees have similar attributes.
- Ensure a high level of transparency. Information is readily available and shared with employees
- A culture of recognition and rewards tells people they are valued. It engages, energizes, and empowers employees. Read More
- Help co-workers collaborate so they build stronger relationships. Employees are less likely to leave an organization if they have friends there.
- Help employees manage their work activities effectively.
- Demonstrate flexibility around work arrangements.
- Inspire connection with company goals and objectives.
- Create a team atmosphere where employees see they are individuals and integral team members.
- Employees get regular feedback that is specific and genuine.
- Stay true to core values. These are the inseparable principals at the DNA of the organization. The behaviors and performance that is never compromised.
- Devote time to building and improving company culture.
How Playing Games at Work Improves Company Culture
If you found that reading those ten points did not match your view of your existing company culture then games can be a way to improve things and get better engagement and motivation with employees. Incorporating activity-driven games into your workplace provide a level of engagement and motivation that boosts company culture.
- Games are transparent. Everyone can see their own performance and that of their peers.
- Games allocate recognition and rewards to team members based on performance. A virtual gong (available with the Spinify App) allows everyone, local and remote to share in the Celebration.
- Performance-driven, competitive and cooperative games between co-workers, can boost the work throughput of individuals and teams.
- Games provide immediate performance feedback to individuals and teams so they know what they need to do to manage their work activities to achieve company goals.
- Games on mobile devices promote flexibility of staying in touch with colleagues and company performance.
- Games on specific activities that are aligned to company objectives align what an employee does today with the business results of tomorrow.
- Games can be individual outcomes or team based. Team games encourage the Stars to help lower performing employees. This lifts total team performance. They deliver better business outcomes.
- Games provide immediate feedback on an employee’s day-to-day role. Games break away from traditional KPI tracking and performance evaluations.
- Fun at Work should be a core value for an organization. It’s how you engage, motivate and celebrate employees at work.
- Think about incorporating games into your organization to improve company culture.
A great company culture promotes better employee engagement and motivation. Here’s a few things you might not know about the true benefits of keeping your employees engaged:
- Engaged employees are 3x more creative and innovate to solve workplace problems
- Happy employees are 31% more productive than disengaged and disgruntled team members
- Companies with engaged teams out perform their competitors by up to 202%
Connecting to individual employees to engage and motivate them is now within reach of all organizations. Check out how Spinify can help you engage employees and improve your company culture through fun and easy to setup games!